Grupa Azoty Kędzierzyn Kozle surprised the defending champions of Cucine Lube Civitanova with a fantastic 3-1 victory in the first quarterfinals match.
Kamil Semeniuk was named MVP and became also Best Scorer of the match recording 21 points (14/24 in attack). Kaczamarek added 15 for the Polish team, while Kamil Rychlicki was the Top Scorer for Lube with 17 points. Interestingly, this was the first victory of the polish team against Cucine Lube Civiyanova out of 4 Champions League matches.
The next match between the team is taking place next Wednesday, March 3, in Poland.
“The Polish team deserved their victory tonight. They delivered great volleyball, especially with on the serve and blocking. It will be difficult next week in Poland as we’ll have to win 2 games in once, but we must be absolutely confident. There is still an opportunity to proceed ahead“.
Kamil Rychlicki (opposite of cucine Lube Civitanova)
“We made a very good first step. However, the experience, especially when the opponent team is Civitanova, says that next week we must be careful and go to play the second game starting totally from the scratch. About tonight’s performance – of course, I’m very satisfied with the job done by my guys. They are very good players, with great individual technical skills, and they showed it.”
Nikola Grbic (coach of Grupa Azoty Kędzierzyn Kozle)
In second quarterfinal played today, Russian powerhouse Zenit Kazan wins in four sets on the field of PGE Skra Bełchatów. In a duel of the two quite good acquaintances on an international scene, Bartosz Bednorz scored 22 points against his fellow countrymen, while Iranian Milad Ebadipour scored 16 points for Belchatow, and Karol Kłos set up 4 blocks.
| 2021 CEV Volleyball Champions League, playoff quarterfinals – 1st leg:
| February 23, 2021
• Leo Shoes Modena – Sir Safety Perugia 3-0 (25:21, 25:18, 25:22)
| February 24
• Cucine Lube Civitanova – Grupa Azoty Kędzierzyn Kozle 1-3 (23:25, 25:14, 21:25, 21:25)
• PGE Skra Belchatow – Zenit Kazan 1-3 (23:25, 25:19, 23:25, 19:25)
| February 25
• Berlin Recycling Volleys – Itas Trentino 1-3 (19:25, 23:25, 28:26, 17:25)
| Second Leg
| March 2
• Sir Safety Perugia – Leo Shoes Modena 3-0 (25:23, 25:18, 25:21 – GOLDEN SET 15:5)
| March 3
• Grupa Azoty Kędzierzyn Kozle – Cucine Lube Civitanova 3-0 (22:25, 24:26, 24:26 – GOLDEN SET: 16:14)
Source and photos: CEV