No upsets in the final of the Brazilian Superliga: 2nd-seed EMS Taubaté Funvic, favorite for the title after the sensational elimination in the quarter-finals of Sada Cruzeiro, won their second championship by easily winning 3-0 against no.4 Minas Tênis Clube in Game 2.
A result that ended the series 2-0 after a more painful 3-2 than expected in Game 1.
Partially it was 25:20, 25:22, and 25:17, by which they won the 2nd consecutive championship title (the last season was canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic, and Taubaté were no.1 at the moment of the cancellation).
Well led by the setter Bruno, MVP of the evening, Funvic Taubaté dominated substantially this match from start to finish, also thanks to a continuous and effective serve (10 aces and 11 errors) and harnessing with the block the tired Cuban opposite Escobar (who, after being recovered from COVID, still struggles to play 2 close matches).
Top scorers Douglas Souza and Mauricio Borges, authors of 15 and 12 points respectively, and both will wear the Vibo Valentia’s jersey next season.
| SUPERLIGA’s INDIVIDUAL AWARDS
• Best outside-hitters: Mauricio Borges (Taubaté), Adriano Xavier (Itapetininga)
• Best middle-blockers: Mauricio Souza (Taubaté), Lucas Saatkamp (Taubaté)
• Best setter: William Arjona (Minas)
• Best opposite: Yadrian Escobar (Minas)
• Best libero: Maique Nascimento (Minas)
• Best coach: Javier Weber (Taubaté)
• Best refeer: Anderson Cagador
• Craque da galera: Raphael Vieira De Oliveira (Taubaté)
• MVP: Mauricio Borges.
| FINAL – Game 1
| April 15
• EMS TAUBATE FUNVIC – MINAS TENIS CLUBE 3-2 (25:18, 22:25, 23:25, 25:16, 15:11)
MVP: Douglas Souza.
| Game 2 – April 16
• MINAS TENIS CLUBE – EMS TAUBATE FUNVIC 0-3 (20:25, 22:25, 17:25)
(( Game 3 – April 18 ))
EMS TAUBATE FUNVIC – MINAS TENIS CLUBE