Champions League: Trentino show Friedrichshafen who’s leader in Pool E – first win for Lokomotiv Novosibirsk
In a duel of the two undefeated sides in Pool E of the 2021 CEV Volleyball Champions League, Itas Trentino swept VfB Friedrichshafen in straight sets.
Italy’s Trentino played the most consistent match so far in the Pool, which they host, of the competition. And they did it against the strongest opponents of the three in a three-day programme, Germany’s Friedrichshafen.
Both teams were undefeated in the first two days of the competition but with the Bundesliga side showing much better shape. However, led by the young Alessandro Michieletto, Serbian Srećko Lisinac (12 points each), and Dutchman Nimir Abdel-Aziz (5 aces), Trentino won by a 3-0 and settled at the top of the standings.
Ricardo Lucarelli Santos De Souza, MVP of the match for Trentino Itas: “It was great team work, everyone played really good. It was tough match without setters and right this morning they told us Dick Kooy got injured. Especially during this difficult period for everyone, this victory means so much to us.”
Linus Weber, opposite for Friedrichshafen: “They really dominated us especially in the service. Now we have to think about how we can play better as a team, when the opponent team is leading. We have to work more as a team and put more energy in the field. Itas Trentino played at a very high level and punished every mistake we made.”
In the other match, Russia’s Lokomotiv Novosibirsk recorded the first victory as they beat Czech’s ČEZ Karlovarsko in four sets mostly thanks to a Serbian duo Luburić (25 points, 5 aces) and Ivović (89 % reception; 50 % excellent), but Dmitriy Lyzik also contributed with 6 blocks.
Friedrichshafen 6 Novosibirsk 4 Karlovarsko 0
📌| CEV Champions League 2020/21 | POOL E
🗓| December 1
• Trentino Itas (ITA) – Lokomotiv Novosibirsk (RUS) 3-2 (21:25, 23:25, 25:23, 25:23, 15:2)
• CEZ Karlovarsko (CZE) – VfB Friedrichshafen (GER) 1-3 (14:25, 22:25, 25:23, 16:25)
🗓| December 2
• VfB Friedrichshafen (GER) — Lokomotiv Novosibirsk (RUS) 3-0 (25:20, 25:23, 25:22)
• CEZ Karlovarsko (CZE) — Trentino Itas (ITA) 1-3 (25:19, 18:25, 18:25, 20:25)
🗓| DECEMBER 3
• VfB Friedrichshafen (GER) — Trentino Itas (ITA) 0-3 (19:25, 18:25, 18:25)
• Lokomotiv Novosibirsk (RUS) – CEZ Karlovarsko (CZE) 3-1 (25:19, 25:27, 25:18, 25:22)
Source and photos: CEV