Champions League: Halkbank defeat Lube and took the first step towards semifinals. ZAKSA beat Trento at tie break3 min read
In 2022/23 CEV Champions League the first Quarter Final match between Halkbank Ankara and Cucine Lube Civitanova was a thrilling game, in which the hosts emerged victorious with a score of 3-1 (21:25, 25:20, 25:23, 25:21) in a match played in Ankara.
Halkbank entered to the court with the banner “Get well soon, my Turkey”, and volleyball fans also gave a message of unity and togetherness by opening an eight-meter banner.
Thomas Jaeschke was the top scorer of the match and the most valuable player with 22 points (56% attack, 3 aces, 60% reception).
The re-match is scheduled for next Wednesday in Italy’s Eurosuole Forum in Civitanova. If Halkbank makes it through to the Semifinals, it will be their first time doing so since the 2013/14 season!
“We started the match in the best way, but after the second set we gave away too much to our opponents. They put us in big trouble with the serve, and they defended three times more than us. This was also a major factor in their victory. We certainly have to be more demanding with us in some game situations which objectively should be simple,” said Simone Anzani, middleblocker of Cucine Lube Civitanova.
“We suffered from their serve from the beginning, we managed to resist by attacking the high ball well, then I think that Yant’s injury in the third set penalized us, at that moment especially in reception, a fundamental in which we would certainly have had to do later better, even on potentially non-difficult balls. For the the return match a very different performance is expected from my team, to keep our chances of qualifying alive,” addes head coach Gianlorenzo Blengini.
In the second game of the day, Poland’s powerhouse Grupa Azoty Kędzierzyn-Kozle, better known in world of volleyball as ZAKSA, defeat Italy’s Trentino Itas at tie break (25:22, 22:25, 22:25, 25:21, 15:10), in a remake of last TWO editions of CEV Champions League Superfinals (both won by the Poles).
After a great battle ZAKSA defeated the rivals, but only achieves a small advantage ahead of the next quarterfinal clash.
Łukasz Kaczmarek with 23 points was the top scorer of the match, while Bartosz Bednorz added 19 and Aleksander Sliwka 17 points for the winning team.
Matey Kaziyski was once again the most effective player for Itas Trentino with 21 points.
“We made too many mistakes of our own and maybe too quickly we believed that we would win the game with a 2-1 lead, but our opponent showed that he will fight until the end, and so do we. We will do the same on our home court and there we hope to prove our superiority,” Kaziyski said.
“We are extremely tired but also extremely happy and thank you very much to our fans who supported us throughout the match, the atmosphere was amazing and we did not doubt the victory, although I must admit that our game was wavering. However, Itas is a great team and they will certainly want to get revenge, but I think that the matter of advancing to the Final Four is open“, said Aleksander Śliwka, Captain of Grupa Azoty Kędzierzyn-Kozle.
Next Thursday is the re-match.
And Trentino Itas can turn over this result….
🏐| 2022/23 CEV Champions League | Quarterfinals | First Leg
👉🏼 Tuesday | March 7, 2023
• 20.00 (Local Time) | Halkbank Ankara (TUR) – Cucine Lube Civitanova (ITA) 3-1 (21:25, 25:20, 25:23, 25:21)
• 20.30 (Local Time) | Grupa Azoty Kędzierzyn-Kozle (POL) – Trentino Itas (ITA) 3-2 (25:22, 22:25, 22:25, 25:21, 15:10)
| Wednesday | March 8, 2023
• 19.30 (Local Time) | Berlin Recycling Volleys (GER) – Sir Sicoma Monini Perugia (ITA) 1-3 (18:25, 15:25, 25:23, 17:25)
| Thursday | March 9, 2023
• 19.00 (Local Time) | VfB Friedrichshafen (GER) – Jastrzebski Wegiel (POL) 0-3 (17:25, 16:25, 13:25)
🏐| 2022/23 CEV Champions League | Quarterfinals | Second Leg
| Wednesday | February 15, 2023
• 18.00 (Local Time) | Jastrzebski Wegiel (POL) – VfB Friedrichshafen (GER) 3-0 (25:14, 25:20, 25:16)
• 20.00 (Local Time) | Sir Sicoma Monini Perugia (ITA) – Berlin Recycling Volleys (GER) 3-2 (24:26, 25:21, 22:25, 25:17, 15:13)
• 20.30 (Local Time) | Cucine Lube Civitanova (ITA) – Halkbank Ankara (TUR) 3-1 (31:29, 25:20, 23:25, 20:25) GOLDEN SET: 12-15
| Thursday | February 16, 2023
• 20.30 (Local Time) | Trentino Itas (ITA) – Grupa Azoty Kędzierzyn-Kozle (POL) 3-2 (25:19, 23:25, 27:29, 25:21, 15:12) GOLDEN SET: 9:15
• 2022/23 CEV Champions League Calendar
• European Cups
• News 👉🏼 Champions League 2022/23